The origin of its name comes from « Jucunditas » which means Joy and Cheerfulness in latin. For eight centuries it was one of the six communes that formed the principalité of Orange.
Gigondas, which is now linked to Carpentras administratively, has in a way lost contact with its former capital. A large number of documents in the departmental archives, the fortified wall which is still visible along with the now restored castle, the cornet of Prince Guillaume of Orange in it scoat of arms, are the only witnesses of its link with Orange. The innumerable coins, pieces of pottery and tegulae (kind of tiles) found everywhere in the commune and the collection of pullar heads and colons testify the presence of Roman civilization.
The feudal castle and its ramparts
It was the seat of the catholic resistance, that was defeated by the Calvinists in 1563. It was used as a hospice from 1678 and then a school and was finally abandoned in the 16th century. Half of the castle is still visible and separate. The other half is almost incorporated into more recent constructions. There still remain several vaulted chambers of small dimension.
The ancient church
It is dedicated to St Catherine of Alexandria. Destroyed by the Calvinist in 1563, it was probably reconstructed at the starting of the 17th century. Tombs and cavities are found underground. Do not miss the sundial on the eastern side!
La Chapelle St Côme et Damien
It is a classical Romanesque construction of the 12th century. It is the starting point on the route to the Dentelles de Montmirail.
La Tour Sarrasine
An ancien watchtower on a mountain trail. It dates back to the 12th century.
The Monastery of Prébayon
The monastery was first constructed in the 17th century. After its closure on the order of Louis the 14th, this magnificient domain became then country residence of the Bishops of Orange till the revolution!
The thermal sources
The etablishment of Montmirail was constructed in 1875. The period of glory for these waters was at the end of the 19th century. The thermal station has been closed since the 50s and the buildings have fallen into ruin.
(A special thanks to the association « Gigondas d’hier et d’aujourd’hui » and to the Office de tourisme)